Police Procedure While dealing with Women

There are lots of prevailing misconceptions among common men as well among policemen regarding the procedure to be followed while dealing with women. Women gets extra rights and safeguard along with rights available to all human being .In this article I will try to clarify the procedure to be followed in various types of cases where police have to deal with women. Let us discuss case by case the additional rights available for women .

*     Police while dealing with women victim/complainant.
  • Section 154 of CrPC provides that in case of acid attack(326A IPC) , Sexual Harassment (354, 354A, 354B, 354C, 354D IPC) ,Rape (376, 376A,376B,376C,376D, 376E IPC) and Insulting the modesty of women(Section 509 IPC) if the information is given by women the Information shall be recorded by a woman police officer or any woman officer. 
  • In case of above if victim is temporarily or permanently mentally or physically disabled, then such information shall be recorded by a police officer, at the residence of the person seeking to report such offence or at a convenient place of such person's choice, in the presence of an interpreter or a special educator, as the case may be. 
  • Further the section 154 provides that the police officer shall get the statement of the person recorded by a Judicial Magistrate under clause (a) of sub-section (5A) of section 164 as soon as possible. 
  • Section 161 of CrPC Provides that the statement of a woman against whom an offence under section 354, section 354A, section 3548, section 354C, section 3540, section 376, section 376A, section 3768, section 376C, section3760, section 376E or section 509 of The Indian Penal Code is alleged to have been committed or attempted shall be recorded, by a woman police officer or any woman officer." 
  • Supreme Court in its recent judgment gave direction that “Upon receipt of information relating to the commission of offence of rape, the Investigating Officer shall make immediate steps to take the victim to any Metropolitan/preferably Judicial Magistrate for the purpose of recording her statement under Section 164 Cr.P.C. A copy of the statement under Section 164 Cr.P.C. should be handed over to the Investigating Officer immediately with a specific direction that the contents of such statement under Section 164 Cr.P.C. should not be disclosed to any person till charge sheet/report under Section 173 Cr.P.C. is filed.” In case the delay is of more than 24 hours the police officer need to write the reason in writing. 
  • Section 164 A Cr.P.C.inserted by Act 25 of 2005 in Cr.P.C. imposes an obligation on the part of Investigating Officer to get the victim of the rape immediately medically examined. Such examination shall be conducted with the consent of such woman or of a person competent to give such consent on her behalf and such woman shall be sent to such registered medical practitioner within twenty-four hours from the time of receiving the information relating to the commission of such offence.
*     Police while dealing with women as witness etc.
  • Section 160 CrPC Provides that no male person under the age of fifteen years or above the age of sixty-five years or a woman or a mentally or physically disabled person shall be required to attend at any place other than the place in which such male person or woman resides. It Means police cannot call a woman witness to the police station or any other place for recording of statement. 
*     Police while dealing with women as accused.
  • Section 46(1) of CrPC provides that where a woman is to be arrested, unless the circumstances indicate to the contrary, her submission to custody on an oral intimation of arrest shall be presumed and, unless the circumstances otherwise require or unless the police officer is a female, the police officer shall not touch the person of the woman for making her arrest.
  • Section 46(4) of CrPC provides that save in exceptional circumstances, no women shall be arrested after sunset and before sunrise, and where such exceptional circumstances exist, the woman police officer shall, by making a written report, obtain the prior permission of the Judicial Magistrate of the first class within whose local jurisdiction the offence is committed or the arrest is to be made.
  • According to section 51(2) of CrPC when it is necessary to cause a female to be searched, the search shall be by another female with strict regard to decency. Body searches of females should only be carried out by women and with strict regard to decency.
  • Section 53(3) and 54(1) of CrPC Provides that where the arrested person is a female, the medical examination of the body shall be made only by or under the supervision of a female medical officer, and in case the female medical officer is not available, by a female registered medical practitioner.
      The above list may not be exhaustive , i will keep adding as and when get to know about other existing provisions. Doubts are invited .....


    1. Can a women be arrested for non payment of fine for criminial offence???

    2. If in case a woman is raped but the complaint is filed after 10 days and due to any obvious reasons and police tried to help the accused for monitory benefits and getting the victim threatened for death or acid attack what can be done?